Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck

Review: Tiger's Destiny by Colleen Houck 

Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Summary (from Goodreads):
With three of the goddess Durga's quests behind them, only one prophecy now stands in the way of Kelsey, Ren, and Kishan breaking the tiger's curse. But the trio's greatest challenge awaits them: A life-endangering pursuit in search of Durga's final gift, the Rope of Fire, on the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal.  It's a race against time--and the evil sorcerer Lokesh--in this eagerly anticipated fourth volume in the bestselling Tiger's Curse series, which pits good against evil, tests the bonds of love and loyalty, and finally reveals the tigers' true destinies once and for all. 



                                                                                                                                                                      

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.  THE DAY HAS FINALLY ARRIVED.  

I have been waiting on this book for who-knows-how-long.  I mean seriously, guys.  A long time.  I am quite emotionally close to the first three books in this saga (Tiger's Curse, Tiger's Quest, and Tiger's Voyage), so when I finally got the chance to read Tiger's Destiny, I was quite ecstatic.  

So, that being said, I went into Destiny with a wonderful attitude.  And then, I realized that Kelsey was an idiot.  Of course, I've always known this, but she just seemed to make me more mad than I've ever been with her in this book.

For starters, if she can get herself into any type of trouble, she will.  And she can't save herself either.  That's Ren and Kishan's job.  I would say that Kelsey Hayes is pretty much the total and complete polar opposite of Katniss Everdeen (and several others, but I used Katniss because she is perhaps the most widely-known).  

I feel like the whole time,  Kelsey complains.  And I just want to punch her in the face and say, "GIRL.  YOU HAVE NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT."  You have two beautiful boys fawning over you, you get to go on tons of adventures, oh and not to mention that Ren and Kishan LOVE you.  They are a couple of gentlemen (quite possibly the best in the entire world), filthy rich (not a deciding factor, but a pretty nice side note), completely romantic, etc., and they are in love with YOU.  

And do you know what she says? "I just want a normal life.  I don't want to be special.  I'm too plain-Jane for this type of thing." (Not specifically.  But she does say some things that are frighteningly similar to that.  multiple times). 

But, aside from Kelsey's attitude, which I force myself to ignore, I did love this book for Ren and Kishan and the adventure of it.  And of course, Ren in this novel is absolutely heart-melting.  I'm just over here like, "REN. FORGET KELSEY.  MARRY ME."  In the words of my best friend Abby, over at @Wintry Words , If there was any doubt that I was Team Ren before, all those doubts are gone.  

Destiny, I thought, did very well as far as plot went.  Colleen never fails to give an interesting quest for her books.  My biggest thought while reading this book was, "AHH.  It's all just one big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff."  And that pretty much describes this quest.  Thank you to The Doctor for that wonderful description of time; it is quite fitting.  

In the end, this novel was just emotionally-attaching (as are all the other books in this saga), and when I finished, it just left me wanting more and more.  Colleen always manages to rip my heart to shreds with these books.  It makes me so incredibly sad that the next book (Tiger's Dream) is the last.  But alas, it must come to an end sometime.   Either way, this book did quite well in my opinion, and I cannot wait to see what Colleen has in store for Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment